Monday, July 19, 2010

A little Quiet. A little Busy

The modelling front has been a little Quiet now that the rain has gone, Though I have been very busy with the house extensions. While most of the works have been concentrated on the boring side of it, the single garage on the eastern side of the house, I was able to do a bit toward the train room. I may have mentioned earlier that the train room will be underneath the back part of the house as well as an area extending out from the back with its own roof. The six steel posts, pictured below, will be replaced by four posts that supports a steel 'C' section beam so as to eliminate some of the posts within the room. I have to put up with two of them but!
This is the back of the shack showing the six existing posts. The length between outside posts is 9.3m. The room extends out 2.6m from the posts and under the house 3.2m to the brick piers giving me a train room size about 9m x 6m. Still not big enough!
I have spent the last week setting out and digging the four new pier holes ready for concrete, hopefully this week. As most of the details of the building work needed to be engineered for council, it seems to me that they have over engineered everything. The holes are 600 x 600 x 800mm deep. Two of these being 400mm below the slab level. A metre deep of digging!
The steel beam has also arrived. Just need the rain to stay away now.
The view from next door showing the pier holes ready for council inspection. The formed hole closest to us is for the upper house extension part.

Here is the steel beam ready for installation. Yes, that is a 66 Mustang. Father In laws.

While I have been busy with the house, I was still able to find time to do some modelling.....not much but. The BCW's have been shelved again as i am still waiting for the resins etc for the floor. I have been working on, for some time, a near enough KF flat wagon. I used an Austrains K wagon and took to it with a razor saw. After removing the unwanted sides, I carefully removed all of the heads of the rivet detail that would normally hold the side panels together on the prototype. I then drilled with a number 80 drill all the rivets that would be visible on the chassis. Then, I removed all traces of the angles and flat braces leaving the holes in the chassis sides in the correct location of the rivets. I extended the grooves in the timber floor so as they are visible on the side of the wagon. A small score using a fine razor saw is made along the sides and ends to show the bottom of the timber planks. The odd looking section and angle brackets behind the centre step was also fabricated from styrene. New centre sill and brake detail where then added under the car along with Brass brake detail etch for the hand brake lever. All the steps and grab irons removed earlier are put back in place.I should really make new steps from brass angle as per the prototype. I had also made coupler release bars, however after closer inspection of the photos (Day Of The Goods Train & AMRM June 2002) I have positioned them in the wrong way as the one in the photo hangs down under the coupler and up to the outside of the chassis on an angle. As usual RP25-88 wheels are fitted. After I fix the coupler release bars, I just need to add the timber sides to the top of the deck, A few tie down eye bolts and paint and weather the wagon.....Along with the other half finished projects building up on the work bench.
Here is the KF as of today. I have not fixed the Coupler bars yet.

Underside of KF showing brake detail.


  1. Great work Ian, it is good to have small projects on the side. I think it helps while the big picture sometimes seems so far away. Darren

  2. G'day Ian
    Very nice underfloor detail, it's also a passion of mine.

    We're in a similar place at the moment, almost have my train room (affectionately referred to as the 'colourbond cave') to lockup stage.

    Always stop for a look at the Coffs layout, one of my favorites, friendly bunch to !