Sunday, July 4, 2010

Stubborn Cows

Just can't seem to get these stubborn cows moving! The BCW's have come to a grinding halt. I have had to order stock to make up the external bracing. In the mean time I was able to assemble the sides and ends along with internal roof supports.

Assembled body waiting external bracing

New buffer beams were also constructed to give the appearance of the 'C' channel, again using various sized Styrene.

Detailed shots of new buffer beam.

While waiting for the brass stock for the BCW's, I have decided to make a start on a few other goods stock to hopefully have ready for Melbourne. I picked up a couple of the Infront Models Arnott's Biscuit Vans last year at the Sydney AMRA show. I wanted to add a bit of extra detail to these mainly in the form of brake rigging. This was the first time I have done this and subsequently learnt a bit along the way. James McInerney done a great article on the detailing of the four wheel S wagons in the Branchline Modeller Mags. This along with full size pictures I took while at Glenreagh helped immensely. I cheated a little and used the S wagon super detail etch from Keiran Ryan Models. I also used a few odd castings from the Branchline modeller S wagon super detail Kit. I think the end result will look fine once i paint it.

Two shots showing the ABV with added brake gear. Pretty much ready for paint.

Another small project started a few weeks back is a four wheel 1948 CW cattle wagon. This will be the original unstrengthened version. The basis for the model was the bergs CW. I removed most of the plastic timber slats from both sides and ends using a bench linisher. I was a little impatient when I tried to hand file them off, but if you take your time the linisher is much faster. The remainder of the slats along with the two extra vertical braces are then removed with a scalpel. I also wanted to achieve a see through look around the door. This was done with a razor saw, small drills and dental pick. I have not finished this part yet. The slats will be replace with scale timber. The original bergs side left, and the modified on the right.

The up close shot of the wagon side with all traces of cladding removed.
I have started on removing the areas around the doors.

Another small project started quite a while back is an Ian Lindsay Models BWF. Basically straight from the box with a little brake details, Shoes pipes etc.

Underside of the BWF. I have added the brake shoes to only one bogie at this stage.

I have just about finished the DOT mentioned in a previous post. Just about all the decals are on the painted model. A few added extras to put on, then weathering to finish off.

Behind the scenes a mate of mine, Andrew Lee, has been working on an LWW well wagon. I think there was only a few of these ever made. He is a whiz with Auto Cad and has put together a very detailed brass etch. He had two etches done, He had build the first and he had me do the second. Its starting to look very good. Originally he wanted it to cast, however because of its extremely thin sides it was almost impossible. He is hoping to revise the etch to be in kit form as it currently would be a little difficult for the average modeller to assemble.

You can almost read the Builders plate!

That's all for now. I will keep working on the stock and keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment